This won’t be the most exciting post, but as I’ve been waiting for over a month to do this job, it’s been the most satisfying moment of the last 6 weeks. March and April have been the coldest, wettest months since records began, and dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Excalibur has a few patches of exposed gel coat, where the previous owner had not keyed the surface properly before anti-fouling.
First off I sanded the patches down with wet and dry sandpaper, making the surface smooth thus removing the flaky bits of anti-foul. Then I primed the bare patches with Primicon (two coats). I also primed the rusty joint along the keel. I didn’t grind it back, instead I just slapped it on for now . I will do a proper job next year, but for now I just want to get her in the water.
The next day, I slapped on Seajet Shogun anti-foul. The anti-foul was a bit watery, so I stirred it up, but still the first half of the boat didn’t look great, and as I got through the tin I started hitting some of the thicker stuff. So one side looked pretty wishy washy, and the other half looked ok.
Back to the chandlery for another tin (£70 each!) with a return trip to exchange it for navy instead of blue, a lucky escape! The second coat went on much more easily and the consistency of the anti foul was more consistent and thicker. Perhaps the first tin was too cold.
I’m very happy with the result, but I’m considering adding a boot top as she looks a bit funny now….
Things I’ve learnt:
- Latex gloves are rubbish, will use gardening gloves next time
- Pay close attention to which colour anti-foul you bought. Good job I realised my second tin was blue, and not navy in the nick of time
- If the anti-foul looks a watery, stir more or warm up
- Blue UV masking tape is a must. I masked the boat 4 weeks ago expecting to anti-foul the following day, then it rained for a month. The tape held true as advertised